Tangy and zesty, pair our tartar sauce recipe with our wild-caught crab cakes. Serve as an appetizer for four, or as a main for two.
Found in cookbooks since the 19th Century, tartar sauce is one of the oldest recipes in the book! Cornichons are a wonderful addition, as are dill pickles or bread and butter pickles.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ shallot, peeled and finely chopped (1 tablespoon)
- 1 tablespoon capers, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons cornichons or dill pickles, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons tarragon leaves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Rinse the tarragon under cold water, pat dry with paper towel, and finely chop. Trim both ends of the shallot with a small knife, remove the peel and finely chop into 1/8 inch-pieces. Finely chop the capers and pickles into 1/8-inch pieces.
- Place all ingredients in a small bowl and mix thoroughly with a whisk. Refrigerate until ready to serve.