Simple, tasty, and hearty meals can come together quickly and easily with a delicious sauce. Whether you’re meal-planning for the week or deciding what to eat same-day, a flavorful sauce can elevate your meal from good to great in no time.
Our three go-to sauces are chef-approved and take less than ten minutes to prepare. Let’s get cooking!
1. Basil Pesto Sauce
A classic and simple sauce, our basil pesto is equally enjoyable served hot or cold and can be served alongside a range of meat and seafood, such as steak, chicken, pork, fish, and shellfish.
- 2 cups basil leaves (may be substituted with parsley, mint, kale, or arugula)
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese (omit if serving with fish or shellfish)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts or walnuts (optional)
- ½ cup olive oil
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Remove basil leaves from stems, and rinse under cold, running water. Pat dry with paper towels.
- Grate the Parmesan cheese using a microplane grater, or a grater with small, fine holes. Be careful not to grate to the rind.
- Using a small knife, trim the root end off the garlic and peel the skin off.
- Place the basil, cheese, garlic, and pine nuts into a food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped.
- Turn the food processor to “on” and slowly drizzle in the olive oil.
- Remove the lid and stir in the salt.
- To store, place the pesto in a container and cover with plastic wrap, before covering with an airtight lid. Keep refrigerated for up to five days, or frozen for up to a month.
2. Honey Mustard Sauce
Sweet and creamy, our honey mustard sauce is perfect served atop pan-seared, grilled, and oven-roasted chicken, pork, or fish. If you prefer a less creamy sauce, leave out the mayo.
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- ¼ teaspoon mustard powder
- Place all ingredients in a small bowl and mix thoroughly with a whisk.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
3. Romesco Sauce
Originally from Catalonia, Romesco is a versatile sauce that pairs well with grilled fish, pork, chicken, and beef, and is equally delicious as a sandwich spread and in salads.
- 1 16-ounce jar roasted red peppers, drained
- ¼ cup toasted hazelnuts
- ¼ cup toasted almonds
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 tablespoons parsley, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Place all ingredients into a blender or a food processor and blend on the pulse setting until the sauce breaks down. Aim for a consistency that is not too smooth and still slightly chunky.