This Thai style coconut shrimp curry is quick and easy, and is great served over rice or noodles.
All ingredients can be found at any large grocery store, and the bulk of your preparation lies in the chopping of ingredients. Once you have all ingredients prepared, your curry will come together quickly.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 10-15 minutes
- 1 ½ pounds shrimp
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 2 small shallots, peeled and finely chopped (¼ cup)
- 10 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped (¼ cup)
- 2 inch piece of ginger, peeled and finely chopped (¼ cup)
- 1 bell pepper, seeds removed and finely chopped (1 cup)
- 2 small carrots, peeled and thinly sliced (1 cup)
- ¾ cup red curry paste
- 3 cups coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
- Using a small knife or scissors, cut down the backside of the shrimp from head to tail, cutting about half way through the shrimp. Use the tip of the knife or scissors to carefully remove the black vein from the cut side of the shrimp.
- Rinse the cilantro under cold water and pat dry with paper towels. Remove the stems from the cilantro and finely chop the leaves. Trim both ends of the shallot with a small knife, remove the peel, and finely chop into 1/8-inch pieces. Trim the root end of the garlic cloves with a small knife, remove the peel, and finely chop. Peel the ginger and finely chop. Trim both ends of the bell peppers, remove the seeds, and finely chop into 1/8-inch pieces. Peel the carrots and thinly slice into 1/8-inch pieces.
- Add canola oil in a wide four to six-quart on medium heat. When the oil starts simmering, add the shallots, ginger, garlic, and bell pepper and cook for 30 seconds until fragrant but not browned.
- Add the curry paste and cook for 30 seconds. Add the carrots, coconut milk, fish sauce, and kosher salt and bring to a simmer for five minutes. Stir in the shrimp, cilantro, and lime juice.
- Turn the heat to medium/low and cook for three to four minutes until the shrimp are opaque and just cooked through.
- Serve with your choice of sides!